Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Favorite Inactivities

The question becomes, what happens if you hit the wall? Because we've all got experience with this. You're working on a creative problem, and then all of a sudden that feeling of progress disappears ... What you should do then — when you hit the wall — is get away from your desk. Step away from the office. Take a long walk. Daydream. Find some way to relax. Get those alpha waves. Alpha waves are a signal in the brain that's closely correlated with states of relaxation. And what scientists have found is that when people are relaxed, they're much more likely to have those big 'A ha!' moments, those moments of insight where these seemingly impossible problems get solved. So when you hit the wall, the best thing you can do is probably take a very long, warm shower. The answer will only arrive once you stop looking for it (http://www.npr.org/2012/03/19/148777350/how-creativity-works-its-all-in-your-imagination?ft=1&f=2&sc=17).

Yesterday, a friend posted a photo of her dog sleeping in the sun and she stated that sleeping in the sun was one of her dog's favorite activities. I replied that it was one of my favorite inactivities too. The thing is, I thought, that we are so focused on activities in our culture - even our relaxation time is carved into a series of activities and to do nothing is a waste of time. This is so much a part of our culture that while activities is a word - inactivities is not. I decided then and there that today's blog would be on our need to have favorite inactivities and to indulge in them.

Serendipity often has its way in my life and today I listened to the news story on creativity quoted above. It seems that creativity - productivity - all those accomplishing ivities are tied into having and indulging in inactivities. What do you like to do when you're doing nothing at all?

2 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome post. Thank you for this, because, unlike my dog, I kind of punish myself for my inactivities.

    But some of my favorite inactivities are dancing, reading a really cool book into which I can lose myself (currently it's A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin), taking a shower (or a bath), or just daydreaming. Clearly, I need more lessons from Greta.

    I pray every day, but that's on the border between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...are walking (for me) or dancing (for you) activities or inactivities? What makes something we enjoy doing one or the other?

    Just requested some books from the library and the first season of Game of Thrones - thanks for the lead :).

    ReplyDelete