Since yesterday, I've been pondering what to do about my teaching career at a local state university. I applied for online training to revise my course and my course was not selected for this training. Apparently, I need to attend my choice of IT classes - choosing ones that address problems with my class - then revise my course and see if it passes muster. Unfortunately, none of the courses offered online and none of the courses offered on ground really address the issues that were brought up in my evaluation. It's frustrating - all the way around - enough so to put me in a bad mood and move me to tears of frustration.
This is contrasted with how I am treated at the two other colleges where I work. I have supervisors that are quick with support and praise. I asked a question about my mentoring at a college where I work part time, for example, which could have been quickly answered - instead, it was answered and my supervisor let me know that I was one of their best mentors. A little affirmation is a great way to start off a day. Elise, my supervisor at my full time job, is likewise supportive and goes out of her way to let you know when you are doing a good job. I also am the mentor for a number of teachers and I think I do well by those I mentor. I can't help but think that not only would I not treat students the way that the state university seems to expect (i.e. humiliating students in a public online forum - which is like humiliating them in front of the class - only worse), but that I also wouldn't treat my colleagues that way.
These days, it's very hard to trust and let go of the possibility of work and part of me is tempted to try to jump through these elusive hoops - although I strongly suspect that nothing I do will be what they want. They need to cut online classes from 30% of their course offerings to 10% and I wonder if all this is just some byzantine way of getting online teachers back on ground. I asked specifically if I needed to attend training to be cleared to teach online again and I have received no answer. Considering how many years I've taught online, the idea that commuting to the valley to attend a one hour class or two about material that I already know in order to learn how to make changes I've already proposed and don't need training to enforce is humiliating. I think it's definitely time to let go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First of all, you are an excellent mentor. Like the colleges that show respect for you, you are quick with encouragement and praise. As a professor just starting out with the online format, you've been a huge help in keeping me motivated and encouraged. So thank you for that.
ReplyDeleteSecond, if this college doesn't appreciate you, I bet it can be replaced with 3 more that will. Letting go of something that doesn't support your efforts may cut into your finances a little, but it will also decrease your stress level, and that will have only positive benefits for your physical and emotional health. Maybe it will even mean fewer migraines.
Take care of you. Know that you are an excellent teacher and mentor to other teachers. And don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise. :)
Thanks, Tanya! I've been blessed with some really great adjuncts and mentees. All of you are so great :).
ReplyDeleteI can't improve on what Tanya said; I can only whole-heartedly agree with it. That school you are referring to only reminds me of those loser 'head-game-playing' ex-boyfriends too many women have in their past. Kick 'em to the curb!
ReplyDeleteLOL...thanks, Ellie, that's a good analogy. At least they haven't pepper sprayed me yet; after all, that's their trademark show of respect to students and faculty.
ReplyDelete