One of my favorite places to be is Cambria. There's a little motel on the rugged coast of Moonstone Beach that allows dogs and has fireplaces. It's mostly an art community; but, it's very dog-friendly and it's very easy to simply relax. We don't even do a lot there - walk on the beach, hang out at the motel, just being - and that's why it's so wonderful.
I looked into moving there a few years back - although living somewhere without close access to an ER bothered me a bit (back in the days before they came along with "better" migraine drugs I can't take); but, I thought, with all that relaxation maybe I wouldn't get headaches. Then Dana pointed that If we moved to Cambria, then it would be our normal life, stressful place and then where could we go that was special to relax.
I think we all need a special place that's different from where we live and stress out. That's one thing that worries me about heaven. In describing utopian groups in lectures, I'd always tell students that utopias always had one fatal flaw - people. You put humans into any utopia and we'll always muck it up. So I have to wonder about heaven - Groucho Marx used to say that he'd never join a club that would have him as a member. Can heaven really be so great if the likes of all of us will be allowed? And, if we can be changed so that we are somehow heavenly in disposition - will we still be ourselves and have free will? If so, why not start out with heaven and skip all this tiresome suffering and dying stuff?
Maybe now all we can grasp of heaven is a dream and it's a special place - like Cambria - that we aren't quite ready to move to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment