Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Positive vs. Negative
I teach for several different schools. One of them - unused to the concept of the online classroom - seems to cross over into being soul destroying in their negativity. I have grown to hate interacting with them - much less in deciding to jump through their vague hoops in order to be cleared to continue to teach online for them. The other schools and the students from the negative school are lavish in their praise of my abilities as a teacher. These are difficult days and it is hard to walk away from work. When do you decide that it's unhealthy to continue and that it's time to walk away and trust that things will be okay? A struggling friend voices my fears - don't turn down any work, put up with anything, jump through those hoops, it can be much, much worse! Other friends and family tell me that I'm being mistreated and should walk away. I'm not sure what to do and when to do it. Or rather, I think I know what I ought to do but I'm scared to do it. Fear perhaps is the opposite of trust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fear is definitely the opposite of trust. I believe the Bible says that fear has no part in love, for 'fear hath torment,' and that I can attest to.
ReplyDeleteI would also remind you that the negative school you reference is stunningly wrong-headed in their attitude towards online learning. I attend UCF, and I'm proud to say so--and their online classes are a thing of beauty. I've taken easily a dozen by now. And yes, there was one teacher I whined to you about--good gosh, that woman's class structure was a nightmare--
but by far the majority of them have been just wonderful, and the equal or better of most onground classes I've taken.
My point is--your negative school is flat out WRONG to dismiss or denigrate online learning. And if they're so bone-headed and blind about such a crucial component of modern education, that kind of points up the mentality you're dealing with over there. Their poor management skills re faculty and students only confirms their "suckage," as the kiddies say today.
You do indeed know what to do. And between you, me, and the lamp-post, your other friend who counsels you to stay in a "soul-destroying" relationship (even if it is with a corporate body, rather than a human one) shows that he or she is also coming from a place of deep fear.
Fear does seem such a constant of life though - I may have blogged about it - I know I wrote to you about C.S. Lewis' confession in a letter of how poverty terrified him even though he knew that those people he met that truly lived "like the lilies of the field" lived grace-filled lives.
ReplyDelete