I came across this rendition of the song "Hallelujah" (words by Leonard Cohen):
http://www.godvine.com/8-Year-Old-Rhema-Marvanne-Sings-Hallelujah-Amazing-706.html
I first heard the song from a secular source and I've heard it in church. I think it's a beautiful song - even if the writer mixes in a bit of the story of Samson and Delilah with the classic story of David.
What I was unprepared for was the number of people who disapprove of this song about "sexual obsession" who posted their displeasure in the comments. While I don't believe sexual obsession is the theme of this song - though it is perhaps a minor chord - I did read over this comments to find out what all the fuss was about. The gist of these complaints was that a song with this topic had no place in a church. I wonder if they would also claim that a story about sexual obsession has no place in the Bible. Considering that David was sexually obsessed with Bathsheba and had sex with her and arranged for her husband's murder when it became apparent that the adultery would be discovered and considering all the other stories I've read thus far of prostitutes, murderers, scoundrels, and the like...well...the Old Testament would be a short read if all these fallible and sinful individuals were kicked out of its pages.
Feel free to share your thoughts and please enjoy the song. This girl has an amazing voice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"...the Old Testament would be a short read if all these fallible and sinful individuals were kicked out of its pages."
ReplyDeleteAnd let's not forget the Song of Solomon, which is beautifully, almost naively frank and open in its depiction of physical love and desire.
But as for any given song's place in a particular church service, I suppose the folks there have the right to express their opinion. My son being a music minister, I'm learning more than I ever knew before about how difficult it is to make everybody happy. ;-)
I can well imagine. Of course, as I find several U2 songs fitting for any worship service and love old songs like "Lord of the Dance" and "Ode to Joy" (remember when I played that for you on the guitar?) - I'm easy to please.
ReplyDelete