Friday, March 23, 2012
Navigating the Labyrinth
I was actually looking for the clip from the movie and not an explanation of the scene from the movie; but, it's a short explanation and not too bad. This scene is one that stuck with me because it's such a clear "metaphor" of how we tend to take on and be smothered by the "junk" in our lives.
A student asked me if I missed being a starving artist and if I still did my art and that brought up that scene. I did miss those days and I had to ask myself what it was I missed and the answer to that was how free I felt. Now I feel weighed down with responsibilities - then it was so easy to simply up and quit a job, become a lay missionary, move across country, etc. Now, well, now things are very different. My cousin sent me an email about how freeing old age is and how much she enjoyed being "old" and it made sense on this level. If we are lucky, we will come to a time when we can let go of all the junk that we have accumulated and simply be free to enjoy life again. Of course, perhaps that starts with figuring out what I can let go of here and now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember how you loved pulling up stakes and just heading out on the open road. It may be that part of what "drags you down" these days, in addition to a pretty serious work load, is being tied down in that sense. You're a gypsy at heart--and its like somebody took the wheels off your caravan.
ReplyDeleteBut of course, the reality is no one took the wheels off. YOU made the decision to stay put out of love for someone else. The gypsy "grounded" herself, lol. ;-)
I want to say, too, that you actually inspired me the other day to think about passion-for-art; it started with your memory of drawing madly as a child, I think. But you REALLY did me a solid when you flatly stated that I needed to choose the thesis option for the master's. Writing is your strength, you said.
Once that sunk in, it really did something to me. For the first time I didn't feel Afraid when I thought about the master's program. I started getting excited about a couple of ideas. Been so long since I got excited about an Idea, you know.....;-)
All of which reminds me of a Simpson's scene. Homer has had some mad escapade, and he says to a child dressed up as a turn-of-the-century newsboy, "We never did get to California, did we, Billy? But we will--we'll get there someday!"
The newsboy coughs (a consumptive's hacking cough, mind you) and chokes out brightly, "Sure we will, Mistah Homah, sure we will."
I often think of that scene when I say to you, "We'll get to be free-spirited and creative again someday, Annie," because I can just hear you cough weakly, "Sure we will, Ellie, sure we will." ;-p
Ellie, we ain't quite to the coughing weakly stage yet ;). And, I DID make it to California.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you're getting enthused about that master's program - it was a great time of freedom for me - intellectually and spiritually.
I am very much a gypsy at heart and love was behind my decision. Dana seems so much like my mother in that respect - being perfectly happy and adamant about staying put when I always wanted to move.
Of course, there are other ways of moving besides changing one's physical location...